Fried Green….I Mean Red Tomatoes
Oh sweet tomatoes…juicy, bright, versatile and sometimes boring. I know I get caught in a rut on what to do with tomatoes so I decided to take kind of a naughty, fried approach. Unless they are the baby tomatoes that you pop in your mouth and they burst like candy, tomatoes can be so cranky. When shopping for tomatoes you have to be somewhat selective to make sure you get a good one. Make sure they are firm, but not too firm, red and bruise free.
Here is something different to do with tomatoes other then tossing them in a salad or make into a sauce? Below is a delicious recipe to start out as an appetizer or even eat as your main course. Get as creative as you want to top your fried tomatoes with, I chose goat cheese and fresh herbs because they are a lovely combination.
Fried Red Tomatoes
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup pankp bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped herbs
* Slice tomatoes into 1/2″ thick slices and sprinkle with salt & pepper
* Grab 3 bowls and put eggs, flour and panko bread crumbs into each bowl.
* Heat up the olive oil and a smidge of butter over medium heat. Take the tomato slice and dredge through the flour, then egg and lastly the panko bread crumbs.
* Fry each side of the tomatoes for about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the tomatoes to a serving tray and top with a dollop of goat cheese and sprinkle of fresh herbs.
Have a lovely week…